Upwey Acupuncture was founded by me, Amanda Cox-Edwards.
- 17+ years of clinical experience as an acupuncturist and herbal medicine practitioner
- 6+ years of overseas clinical training in acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, and Chinese massage
- ongoing education in the latest techniques and advances in Chinese medicine every year
- Registered Acupuncturist and Chinese herbal medicine practitioner with:
– AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency)
– AACMA (Australian Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Association)
– Overseas Member of the BAcC (British Acupuncture Council)
- Former lecturer and clinic manager at the London College of Traditional Acupuncture
- Locally-born nature lover of the Hills
The longer version
I grew up in the foothills of Mount Dandenong, and am strongly connected to the area, the beautiful nature, and the people here.
I was introduced to Chinese medicine as a teenager by my mother, and it has always been an important part of my personal health regime.
In my 20s I worked in the media and moved to London (yes, I am still trying to lose the accent). I worked long hours, and socialised a lot, and largely lost touch with the serenity of nature, and my healthy balance for a while.
Luckily I found my equilibrium again through acupuncture and herbal treatment. It was at this point that I decided to study Chinese medicine myself, and I have now been helping people with a variety of health issues since I graduated in 2003.
I embarked on my Chinese medicine training in London and subsequently ran busy clinics there until 2017. In addition, I was honoured to work at the London College of Traditional Acupuncture for several years following my graduation, as both a member of the lecturing staff, and as the acupuncture and herbal teaching clinic manager while my own clinic grew. This was an invaluable experience in the development of my own skills and practice.
In 2017 I returned to Melbourne to be with family, and after numerous requests from friends for local treatment, I opened Upwey Acupuncture in 2019.
It is now my absolute pleasure to bring my skills and knowledge to help the local community that I love so much here in Upwey.
At Upwey Acupuncture, my mission is to provide individual acupuncture and Chinese medicine sessions to the local community in a tranquil setting.
I strongly believe in living in harmony with the local land, seasons and nature, and helping others to feel in tune with this too through my work. Enabling people to feel as healthy as possible through this wonderful medicine is my absolute joy.
Conditions I work with
I have a special interest in working with patients suffering from pain, and women’s issues.
I have worked with many other health issues over the years, so if you are unsure if treatment with me would benefit you please telephone to discuss your issue.
I have great familiarity and ample postgraduate training in treating gynaecological issues, assisting couples in improving natural fertility, accompanying IUI and IVF cycles, and treating throughout pregnancy and post natally. Prior to setting up Upwey Acupuncture, I was a member of the acupuncture team at the renowned Fertile Ground Health Group (2017-18).
My qualifications include:
- Licentiate in Acupuncture, London College of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine
- Postgraduate Diploma in Oriental Herbal Medicine, University of East London
- Licentiate in Oriental Herbal Medicine, London College of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine
- Diploma in Tuina, Asante Academy Middlesex University
- Paediatric Acupuncture (Levels 1, 2 & 3), Julian Scott London
I continue to update my studies and knowledge with regular seminars and courses on an ongoing basis.
I strongly believe in working as part of the community for the benefit of my patients, and since moving to Upwey I have set up local networks with various health practitioners.
I enjoy working with other practitioners and cross referring when patients would benefit from this. During my time in the UK I was a member and secretary of the London Acupuncture Childbirth Team, and a founding member of the Bristol Acupuncture Childbirth and Conception Team.